Monday, January 30, 2012

New Year, New Kitchen and New Windows

 The week after New Year's, we began our semi-remodeling.  We knew that we needed new windows and we wanted to make improvements to our kitchen.  Larry Johnson had put in our cabinets almost 30 years ago.  For those of you who know Larry, you know he is a master craftsman.  I've always loved my cabinets, and I really didn't want to change them, so we asked Larry is he could refinish them for us.  He wasn't too excited about that, but he agreed.  So, he and his brother, Max, came and took off all our cupboard doors so that they could refinish them in their shop.  After he did that, he came over and refinished all the outsides of the cabinets.  So that he could do that, I had to take out most of things in the cupboards.  It was a lot of work.
 Here are dishes from a few of the cupboards.  We obviously couldn't eat at the table for a few days.
In addition to the kitchen, we put in 17 new windows in the old part of the house.  They are 38 years old and needed to be replaced.  These are the old windows.  I will write another post so that you can see the new windows.
We also put granite countertops on the cabinets.  I was amazed at how fast they installed them--3 hours.

New windows over the sink.
 I am particularly happy that this bar is now four inches deeper than the last bar.  It makes it a lot easier to eat there now.
 Larry is putting the doors back on.
We took up the old carpet so we could put in new carpet.
Here are the counters and cupboards.  Aren't they pretty.  We still have a tile backsplash to do at the end of this week.


This is the carpet.  We are pleased with the mostly finished project.  And, we're especially glad that it's almost over and we can have our house back.  I must say that when you have workers in your house every day, there is never a dull moment, and you're always cleaning up after them.  Can't complain though.

4 comments:

Stacie said...

Wow! Look at that! It is beautiful! LOVE the new look. Thanks for the pictures!

Jen said...

Love it! Looks great.

Ruth said...

Looks lovely - worth the mess.

Chris P. said...

Evie, it's so weird, I haven't even thought to check your blog since you came home from your mission!! Love the pics of the new kitchen. It was really fun to see it in person last week! The countertops and cabinets are beautiful! I know what you mean about the challenges of having workmen in your house every day. It feels really good to get your own house back, doesn't it? It was so nice to visit with you and Dick. Wish we'd had longer!