Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Challenge to Find Our Callings With Regards to the Temple


At the beginning of this year, our stake had a temple fireside. Around 850 people attended. Our stake president encouraged us each to find out what our own specific callings would be concerning the temple: regular temple attendance, helping tend children for others who might want to go to the temple, doing family history, writing our own history, whatever we feel that the Lord wants us to do. We are to pray and ask for guidance.
For the past couple of years, I have been putting off doing my brother's, (Bob), temple work. But, now that we're trying to get ready to go on a mission, I feel even more strongly that I need to get it done this spring. Keep in mind that my brother and his wife, Ruth, were not active in the church. Both are baptized members but that's about as far as it goes. Over a year ago, I said to Ruth: "Would it be okay if I had Bob endowed and sealed to our parents?" To which she replied, "I think that would be wonderful." Ruth's son, Budd, was raised by Bob, and Budd is an active member of the church. I have talked to both Budd and Ruth and told them I would like Budd to do Bob's endowment. They both agreed. So, now I just have to put the wheels in gear and do it!
Also, Dick and I are trying to get to the temple at least once a week. I know that things will turn out better for us and our family if we attend the temple and do our part. I am grateful that we have a temple so close. I am also grateful to be able to play the organ in the temple every other Tuesday. That is a very special experience and a great blessing to me.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

Thanks for your great example Evie. Good luck doing Bob's work...that sounds great! We have also been challenged to step up our temple work at ward conference last week. We're doing our best. Sounds like your fireside turned out well. Did you end up getting released?

Amy said...

That is wonderful Mom! Scott and I have got to start working on his side of the family....talk about a lot of temple work:)