Sunday, September 12, 2010

43 Years of Marriage--September 7,1967 to September 7, 2010

Forty-three years of marriage--September 7, 1967. It's been a great ride. I am truly grateful that 43 years ago, I married Richard Scott Dalebout. I love him more than I did the day I married him, and I am thankful that we were able to come on this mission. We have been through the thick and thin of things, but we have truly had some wonderful experiences together. And, besides that, we have GREAT kids and grandkids, whom we love very much.

As you can see, we celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary in Yankee Stadium on September 4th and also going to a Labor Day Parade in Connecticut on September 6th. It's always fun to go to a professional baseball game, especially when the home team wins-- 7 to 5 for the Yankees. We even saw a couple of home runs. We sat in the bleachers, but we enjoyed ourselves. We attended the game with our neighbor next door, Jay, the Schoutens, and Teddy Thomas, who is a new convert to the church and someone Dick has spent a lot of time on family history. This is the brand new Yankee Stadium. It is really beautiful.
This is where the old Yankee Stadium is, and they are making it a park in that spot.
Sister Schouten took this picture: l-r: Jay Steele, Elder Schouten, me, Dick, and Teddy Thomas.



We were told that this stadium holds 50,00 people. It wasn't completely filled, but about 90 per cent filled.
It's very impressive. And, we had a great time.


On Monday, September 6th, we and the Schoutens rode up to Newtown, CT, where there was a large Labor Day Parade. We went to support our missionaries, who marched in the parade, gave out pass-along-cards and candy. Some of them rode bikes provided by one of the ward members.


Elder Stone gives a pass-along card to Sister Smith (the President's wife). Remember Elder Stone standing by me. He is 6 foot 9 inches. Sister Smith is 5 foot 11 inches, so you can see how tallk he is.



The Schriners drove these cute little cars in the parade. I thought my grandchildren would love to drive them.

Here is a picture of some of the LDS members in Newtown.



Some dancers in the parade.



Here are two of our sister missionaries who rode bikes, Sister Lythgoe and Sister Baxter. Elder Bandley, from Grandview Hill, is on the left.



More missionaries on bikes



Dick has taken up a new profession. He is now a barber and. For the past two or three weeks, Elder Huerta Luna has been coming into the office, and his hair has been VERY long. He has the most hair I have ever seen a male person have--extremely thick, black and beautiful. It was curling up on his neck. Every time I have seen him, I told him he really needed a haircut. Each time he told me that one of his ward members was going to cut it. She would set an appointment with him, and then she would cancel. Well, last Friday he came into the office and still didn't have his hair cut. Elder Huerta Luna said that the sister was going to cut his hair on Monday, which is Zone Conference. When the President came in and saw him, he said: "Elder Huerta Luna, you will have your hair cut by Zone Conference on Monday." I think that kind of scared Elder Huerta Luna. Dick piped up and said: "If you come over tomorrow, I will cut your hair." Thus, Dick became a barber. I also have to say that he did a good job. He even colored my hair yesterday. ( That's what happens after 43 years of marriage.) WHAT A MAN!!!

I didn't get a picture of the back, but here is what his hair looked like from the front.




It's looking a little better.



Voila! Here is the finished product. Elder Huerta Luna is on the right and his companion, Elder Chavarria, is on the left. Do you love that hat.















4 comments:

Ruth said...

Well, congratulations on your 43rd wedding anniversary! Those are great pictures, especially of the parade. So glad you are having all these wonderful experiences together.

Stacie said...

Great pictures! Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun. That baseball game looked great!

And Happy Anniversary! I thought about you two on that day and we intended to call, and then we got busy doing something else and we forgot. Sorry! But, we are so grateful for you two and your 43-years strong marriage. Thank you for your example.

Glad things are going well!

Shelley D said...

Fun way to celebrate your anniversary! Makes Scott proud, I'm sure. :)

Jen said...

Dad, you are quite the barber! That missionary looks so much better with his hair cut.

Glad you had a great Anniversary! You both chose great companions!