Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Day of Gratitude

I will attempt another entry into my blog. I wanted to let you know that we had a wonderful time in San Diego--the weather was very nice and the company was too.

Saturday was a busy day, but we decorated our Christmas tree and put up the garland outside. I love Christmas and all the decorations that help make it seem festive.



This morning, I listened to the Tabernacle Choir broadcast from last week. Every song they sang, as well as the spoken word, was about gratitude and our blessings. Some of the hymns they sang were: "We Gather Together to Ask the Lord's Blessing," "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep," and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." Each song carried a message for me. The song "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep" comes from the old musical "White Christmas." The words go like this:


When you're worried and you can't sleep, count your blessings instead of sheep, and you'll fall asleep counting your blessings. When your bankroll is getting small, think of when you had none at all, and you'll fall asleep counting your blessings. I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads, and one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds. So, if you're worried and you can't sleep, count your blessings instead of sheep, and you'll fall asleep counting your blessings.

Sometimes I lay in bed and think of all the things that I have to do, and I can't sleep. I have tried counting sheep, but maybe it would be a good idea to count my blessings for I have so many.

Lloyd Newell talked about how much happier we are when we count our blessings and give gratitude for them. I really believe that. I have enjoyed reading the blessings that you are thankful for during this Thanksgiving season.

I went out to see Grandpa Miller this morning, and he is doing amazingly well. We had a nice chat and I took him to lunch at the cafeteria in the care center. I think he'll be around for a while. What a neat man!

We then went to church, and our fifth week joint meeting was on the subject of how to live within our means because times are going to get tough. We had a panel of five "older" people who talked about their experiences during the depression. They gave us advice about how to be happy through troubling times. Some suggestions were: live within your means, get out of debt, pay your tithing faithfully, learn to sew and make clothes for your family, learn to cook nutritious food from your food storage, have a good food storage.

Then, this evening, Dad and I went to a Temple worker's fireside and listened to Truman Madsen and his wife talk about the importance of the temple and of going there and learning new insights, as well as gaining inspiration from the spirit in knowing what to do with difficult situations that we all face. I really learned more about the temple and will try to pay more attention to the symbolic representation of the total temple ceremony.

So, today I am thankful for Christmas and its true meaning, for beautiful music that helps inspire us, for family and friends who love us and teach us, and for the temple and its importance in our lives.




2 comments:

Jen said...

There is so much to be grateful for. I had to give a talk last week on gratitude and the article that I used the most was by elder Eyring titled, "Remembrance in Gratitude". Remembering helps us be grateful and remember how much we have been given.

Thanks for the post.

Amy said...

I am so impressed. You got the blog thing all figured out nicely! Yay for Mom!

We miss you guys already, although when you left, the rain stopped and the sun has been shining brightly since then...it was good to have a bit of rain here!

Great post and I love the song you have quoted. I would love to hear it when we come. Good job, Mom!