Sunday, June 7, 2009

First Outing





Today has been a good day for Dick. Yesterday he had a lot of lower back pain, and last night he asked me to call his dad and ask him to come over this morning so that Dad and Billy could give him a blessing. Billy returned from Minnesota around midnight last night.The two of them gave him a healing blessing. I gave him some pain medication. Dad stayed with him while Billy and I went to church. Dick slept the whole time. The bishop asked the ward to fast and pray for the many people in our ward who were struggling physically and mentally (and there are several).Some people bore their testimonies and gave special thanks for the fasting and prayers from the members of our ward. It was a very spiritual meeting and one I was glad that I could attend. There is great strength in the good people of our ward
This afternoon, Dick took his first car ride since he came home from the hospital. Jenny invited us to her house for dinner. The day before surgery, Dick made a deal with Jenny that his goal was to go to her house for dinner on June 7th. He made that goal. It was a little tiring for him but he did quite well. His back has felt much better today. I'm sure the blessing and pain medication helped. Dave and Colleen Witt came to see Dick early afternoon. Their son, Matt, had the same surgery a couple of years ago, and it was a long recovery for him. Kim and Gaylin Hodges paid us a visit this evening. We have good friends.
Family, friends and the knowledge that our Heavenly Father and Jesus loves us keeps us alive with hope. By the way, it was nine years ago today that Grandma Miller passed away. My, the time has flown and much has happened.

3 comments:

Chris P. said...

Hurray! Goals met=good feelings! Dick looks great on these pictures and everyone looks happy. It's hard to be patient with the recovery process but the fact that Dick is up, dressed, walking around the block and even taking outings in the car EIGHT DAYS after surgery of that magnitude is AMAZING!!! Really. I had a fairly major surgery several years ago and I wasn't out of my house or off my property for at least two weeks, maybe three. I don't think he realizes how really remarkable his progress is. It's great to see him looking happy and I'm sure it feels so good for so many people to come by to visit and let him know he's loved. What a sweet and memorable thing that his father and youngest son can join to give him blessings when needed. When he feels a little less tired I hope he will take the time to journal his feelings about all of this. We love you, Dick. You continue to be in our prayers.

Amy said...

Yay! A different shirt:0)

You look really good, Dad. Although you aren't going to look like Dad until you throw those eye-glasses on. Looks like some of the hair is growing back....let's just keep it all the same length!?!

Hope your day is going well.

Love you.

Unknown said...

It is remarkable to me that you are out and about. I hope you continue to recover quickly!